Wednesday, January 28, 2009







Hej!

It's crazy to me that by tomorrow morning I will have been here for 2 weeks!  Time has just been moving so fast since I've gotten here.  I was so nervous before I left to come here, and I was mostly nervous about whether I would be able to have a good time away from all of the people I love.  However, multiple people who had studied 
abroad told me that I would love my time abroad and that I would be so sad to leave.  I already think those people are right- I am so pleasantly surprised!

Since Saturday, I've mostly been researching for my paper that I have to write for my Swedish History class.  In between researching, I take lots of walks around the town.  I'm trying to 
become well acquainted with the shops and sights in the neighborhood.  It's really fascinating to me how many ethnic restaurants there are in the town- I wonder if the university presence is a 
factor.  I've also been taking a lot of trips to the grocery stores.  I'm still not very good at reading 
the Swedish labels, so every shopping trip feels like a huge adventure!  For example, I still don't 
really know how to tell the difference between all the different kinds of milk!  Yogurt is also still a mystery to me.  However, people who make fun of my Trix yogurt obsession will be amused to 
note that I have found Safari yogurt here, which is a brand of children's yogurt that is very similar 
to Trix yogurt.  Besides my shopping adventures, I've been out with some of my friends 
from the floor and watched a movie with a bunch of people.  

I'm having a hard time focusing on what I'm doing during the week, though, because I'm already so excited for the weekend!  On Friday, I am going to Gamla Uppsala (old Uppsala) for an excursion with my Swedish History class.  Gamla Uppsala has a lot of the Viking history of Sweden, so I think that will be really neat!  Then, on Saturday and Sunday I am going on a roadtrip around Sweden with 3 German friends (Frederike, Florian, and Wojtek) and another friend from the U.S.(Trent).   We have rented a Volvo for the weekend, and we are planning on either heading to Dalarna,"the heartland of Sweden",  or going to a ski resort.

Well, I'm off to enjoy a slice of bread with Nutella, my new favorite food group!

Picture summary: (From left to right)
1. The inside of Domkyrka, the cathedral
2. Disco ball inside a nation- the only proof I have seen of Abba so far
3. Uppsala by night
4. Some buildings by the river
5. Another river shot
6. Town view and Domkyrka at night

  

No comments:

Post a Comment