Friday, January 30, 2009

Gamla Uppsala

Hej!

Today I went on an excursion with my Swedish history class to Gamla Uppsala, which means Old Uppsala in Swedish.  Gamla Upps
ala is about a 15 minute bus ride from Uppsala.  The excursion was really neat!  Gamla Uppsala is where a lot of the Swedish Vikings resided, so it's full of history.  In the area there are hundreds of Viking burial mounds, which basically look like big hills.

First, we received a guided tour of the Gamla Uppsala museum by one of the local archaeologists. 
 Basically, we got to see a lot of the different artifacts that have been excavated from some of the mounds.  Then, the guide took us on the mounds, which was pretty special considering the fact that the public is not normally allowed onto the mounds due to preservation rules.  It's funny 
because the mounds do not look very high, but it was quite an adventure getting up the icy slopes!  I wish I had taken pictures of 
that!

Tomorrow I leave for my road trip of Sweden, and I will be sure to write and post pictures!

Picture summary:
1- Me on top of a Viking burial mound
2- A look back at Uppsala from a burial mound- that point is Domkyrka, the cathedral
3- Gamla Uppsala countryside
4- A view of a few of the burial mounds














































No comments:

Post a Comment